Sunday, January 22, 2012

Recipe #3: Fennel and Pork Stew

I don't think we usually eat this much pork, but cold-ish, and certainly rainy, weather finally rolled in to NoCal, so comfort food sounded fabulous this weekend.  I was planning on cooking this Friday, but we went out with friends instead.  Then it was destined for Saturday dinner, but we ate lunch too late.  Turns out it made a perfectly lovely - and hearty - Sunday lunch.

Fennel and Pork Stew
adapted from Eating Well magazine, February 2012


8 cups thinly sliced fennel (2-3 med bulbs)
1 med onion, halved and thinly sliced
2.5 pounds pork shoulder or Boston butt, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 2-inch chunks
1.5 tsp salt
1.5 teaspoons pepper
3/4 cup dry white wine (I used a cheap Sauvignon Blanc)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
2 tsp finely chopped fresh oregano
1 28-oz can whole tomatoes, drained (next time I'll just use diced)

1) Spread fennel and onion in an even layer in a 5-6 quart slow cooker.  Add pork to the top.

2) Sprinkle port with salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary, and oregano.  Top with white wine and tomatoes.

3) Cover and cook for 4-5 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low.

Confession: the original recipe said to brown the pork in 2 tbsp olive oil, then use the wine to deglaze the pan.  I have tried crock pot recipes both ways (browning and not), and I find that usually the meat is more tender if you don't brown it, with minimal change in flavor.  Plus, the point of using a crock pot is convenience, and having to dirty extra pans and take the extra time is NOT convenient.  So I didn't do it.  But you can if you want.

I served this over a hearty, textured polenta (lightly flavored with parmesan), which was the perfect foil for the rich herb-and-fennel flavor.  The original recipe says this serves 8, and I would concur.  I froze half, so I'll update if there are any problems after freezing.

No comments:

Post a Comment