Friday, January 6, 2012

Recipe #1: Curried Vegetable Pot Pies

I did not set out to start with a vegetarian recipe, since my husband's response to vegetables is usually lackluster at best, but I was flipping through never-used wedding cookbooks, and this just caught my eye.  Pot pie always sounds so warm and cozy in the winter, plus it actually was all vegetables my husband eats (minus the peas).  Score!  So here you are:

Curried Vegetable Pot Pies
adapted from Martha Stewart's Dinner at Home


  • 1 package frozen puff pastry dough, thawed according to package instructions
  • 3 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1 leek, white and pale green parts only, cut into 1/2" half moons, washed well
  • 3 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
  • 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
  • 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 4 cups milk, plus more for brushing
  • 1 russet potato (8 oz) peeled and cut into 2" by 1/2" matchsticks 
  • 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp curry powder
  • 1 cup frozen peas
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Cut pastry dough into four squares (just large enough to cover the top of each 10 oz baking dish).  Make several vents for steam in each piece.  Chill on a baking sheet until firm.

2)  Meanwhile, melt butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium high heat.  Cook leeks, parsnips, and carrots with 1 tsp salt, stirring frequently until slightly soft (3-5 min).  Add flour; cook, stirring, until golden (2-3 min).

3) Whisking constantly, stir in milk, potato, and curry powder.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer gently until potato is tender, stirring occasionally (8-10 min).  Season with salt and pepper

4) Stir in frozen peas.  Divide cooked mixture evenly among baking dishes and top with pastry.  Brush pastry with milk.  Place on a baking sheet and bake until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. 22-25 min. Let cool 10 min before serving.

My Variations/Notes
  • I don't do matchsticks - who has the time?  So I just chopped the veggies into small enough pieces that I thought they would cook in roughly 10 min.  
  • I added 1 cup frozen pearl onions.  I love them.  I'll put them in anything that will hold still long enough.
  • I used small Yukon gold potatoes, unpeeled and diced, instead of russet.
  • I topped mine with a biscuit topping instead of puff pastry - just as yummy, slightly healthier.
  • I only did 3 cups of milk - four would have been veggie soup!
  • Next time I will replace some of the milk with light coconut milk.
  • I baked it in one container rather than small ones.  I'm lazy about dishes.
All in all, I thought this was a good but not fabulous recipe.  I'm always thrilled to find something vegetarian my husband wouldn't mind me serving again (although I think you could add diced chicken to this), and I'm certain I will try it again.  Definitely with coconut milk.  And in individual containers, so I can have peas in mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment