Saturday, January 21, 2012

Recipe #2: Fennel Crusted Pork Loin with Roasted Potatoes and Pears

With company coming over on a weekday last week, I was in search of a recipe that was tasty, hearty, and had virtually no last minute components to take me away from my guests.  And, as always, it had to be something my husband would enjoy as well.  This was a decided hit and so simple that I will definitely be repeating it.

Fennel Crusted Pork Loin with Roasted Potatoes and Pears
from Real Simple magazine, October 2007 (and yes, I clipped this recipe that long ago and had stashed it in another cookbook!)

1 tbsp fennel seeds
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
2 pounds boneless pork loin
2 onions (red or yellow) cut into quarters or eighths
1 pound small white potatoes, washed and quartered
3 firm, ripe pears (Bosc worked well), cored and quartered

1) Heat the oven to 400 degrees.

2) Crush the fennel seeds (mortar and pestle, bottom of a heavy pan, spice grinder).  Mix the seeds, garlic, 1 tsp of salt, 1/4 tsp of pepper, and 2 tbsp of olive oil.  Rub the mixture over the pork, then place the pork in a roasting pan.

3) In a large ziplock bag (or a bowl, if you want to wash more dishes) toss the onion, potatoes, and pears with the remaining olive oil, plus 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper.  Scatter around the pork.

4) Roast until thoroughly cooked, about 70 minutes.  (I took mine out when the internal temp was 140 and let it rest for about 10 min to finish cooking.)  Serve with the roasted vegetables/fruit.

I followed the directions almost exactly, although I doubled the fennel-garlic rub (everything except the oil).  The results were delicious, and the prep was super easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment